I appreciate that I have written on this topic previously, however subsequent to this I will be submitting a number of articles in order to establish the following:
1. That the reformers did indeed make that accusation against Rome and….
2. That the basis for their collective charges against the papacy was not founded on personal prejudice nor was it influenced by current cultural considerations, but were founded firmly on the word of God, the Bible. Thus it is the inspired word of God that makes case against the Roman church. It is God Himself that warns the readers of His word against Romanism; it is God Himself that calls His people out of that system (yes, He does have people in the RCC, and He does love them every bit as much as He loves anyone else); and it is God Himself who offers an alternative. It is not just a matter of calling people out of one church, but it also involves calling them into another.
The articles I will be submitting are part of an ongoing forum conversation and where appropriate will be also showing some of the responses. Your comments and submissions are welcome.
Every reformer, from the 12th to the 18th century, from Wycliffe to Luther, from Calvin to Cranmer, and dozens in between, pointed their collective fingers at Rome and proclaimed the Roman papacy as the Antichrist of prophetic scripture. Were they right? If one was to give any credence to modern Christianitys view, the reformation was a major mistake, and the reformers all religious radicals deceived and influenced by the times in which they lived. If however they were right, and the Roman Catholic Church is indeed the Antichrist as they claimed, then why do so few proclaim it today? If however they were wrong which it seems the majority of Christendom now contend, then why don’t we all forsake the title “protestant” (who’s protesting today anyway?) and return to Rome?
In response to the above a moderator asked:
Do you have some historical writings to support your statement that all these people “proclaimed the Roman papacy as the Antichrist of prophetic scripture”?
I am not an advocate of Protestantism, Catholicism or any other religious institution anymore but if you have any historical evidence to support your post than I’m your huckleberry.
- Luther excommunicated by Catholic Church (oup.com)
- Revelation 13 (brakelite.wordpress.com)
- The Bible Says That The Wrath Of God Is Upon Those Who Do Not Believe In Jesus Christ! (soulrefuge.org)